If you are a straw-hat enthusiast and absolutely love hoarding them, this article won’t be a disappointment. A straw hat is an unbeatable winner when it comes to summer-style accessories. Besides the reputation of an all-time fashion statement, they offer sun protection. Straw hats are a crazy addition that keeps your head and your style quotient permanently cool. However, cleaning and maintenance can take a toll if you are uninformed.
Do you wish to know how to clean your straw hat effectively? This article brings to you the top hacks that can help you preserve your straw hats longer.
Basic Cleaning Tips
The primary step is to check for washing instructions on the label. The label is usually placed on the inside of the brim of the hat and it’s created by a graphic designer or using a DIY label maker tool. Make sure that your hat can be washed, and then proceed.
- The next step is to remove any detachable adornments such as frills or ribbon. In case it is attached, do not mess with it. If the ribbons or ruffles are separate, then you may use a soft brush to remove specks of dust. If it is too dirty, use a wet cloth to spot clean it.
- Take the straw hat and brush off all the dirt and grime. Make sure you use a soft bristle for cleaning. Also, dust it gently rather than scrubbing it hard to avoid fabric ruin.
- If the hat has accumulated dust for a long time, then probably a soft brush wouldn’t do the work well. You can brush the dirt off by placing a net cloth as a cover over a vacuum cleaner. However, it is recommended not to apply this cleaning hack until extremely necessary.
- Mix equal parts of warm water and hydrogen peroxide and dip a cloth into the solution. Use the damp cloth to clean your straw hat. Make sure the cloth is plain to avoid color transfer onto the hat. Also, do not wet the hat too much.
Removing Stains and Dirt
- In case of a sweat stain, immediately clean the area with a damp cloth. The cleaning steps will differ according to the hat color. For light-colored straw hats, use the peroxide and water mixture. Dip a brush, rub it on the stained area and let it dry. If your hat is of a darker shade, use a teaspoon of ammonia mixed with a teaspoon of water. Dip a brush in and rub over the stain.
- Remove scuffs off your hat using an artist gum eraser. To clean basic dirt and dust off, a quick can be wrapping a clear mailing tape. Pat gently and peel it off.
Straw Hat Maintenance
A straw hat is durable and proper maintenance can even help prolong its life. Keeping it dry is vital for a hat to retain its shape.
- You may use a water repellant to avoid wetness.
- Store the hat in a dry and dark place.
- Keep your hands clean to avoid staining
- Do not expose your hat to direct sunlight for long.
- To keep a straw hat polished and bright, you can wipe it with a cloth dipped in alcohol and water.
Keeping your hat safe and clean is essential to retain its durability and shape. Now that you know exactly what to do, enjoy flaunting! Happy summers!