Hindi is the native language of our country and the mother tongue of the majority of people. It has gained wider recognition in other parts of the world in the past years. It is important that you learn Hindi properly in school. Most students don’t feel the need to give it that much attention and importance since it is taught as a second language. But it is important that you realise that it can be a highly scoring subject if you study it well.
Class 10 is one of the most important and formative classes in a student’s school life. Scoring well in this class helps you get admission in the best of colleges, schools for 11th and 12th if you wish to switch and depending on the marks scored in this class you can also choose the subjects you wish to pursue in 11th and 12th.
The Hindi syllabus for class 10 consists of literature chapters, grammar and creative writing. The literature chapters are divided among 4 books- Kshitij, Sanchayan, Kritika and Sparsh. These books aim at providing a glance at how diverse Hindi literature can be by including short tales, stories and poems. They talk about moral values, self-reflections etc. Hindi grammar teaches students how to maintain their command over the language by sentence formation, grammar exercises and creative writing which includes letters, essays, comprehensions etc.
The Hindi exam question paper consists of 4 sections. Section A consists of the unseen passages and prose for comprehension. Section B consists of the grammar questions. Section C has questions from literature and Section D is the creative writing section. The paper is of 80 marks. The remaining 20 marks are for internal assessments conducted by the school. You may have an internal option among questions in the paper.
Preparation tips to keep in mind in order to score good marks in the Hindi exam
- Go through the NCERT book thoroughly- The most important thing to do while preparing for the exam is that you read all the chapters in the syllabus thoroughly. They might seem daunting by the number of chapters but don’t be stressed. If you allocate proper time then you will be able to read through all of them in time. Having full knowledge and understanding them is key to score maximum marks in literature.
- Practice all exercises and questions- Most questions in the literature section are from the textbook. Practice and write down the answers to all these questions once you have revised the chapters. Writing will help you formulate the answers, practice grammar and spelling and maintain the speed of writing. You can refer to the class 10 hindi guide pdf for detailed explanations.
- Practice grammar questions- The only way to master grammar and score full marks in this section is by having enough practice. Once you know the concepts just keep practicing from questions from the Vyakaran book and keep assessing yourself.
- Know the poems well- Understand the meaning of the poems and summarise them. Questions can be asked to explain certain lines from the poem or to summarise the theme or what the takeaway from the poem was. It is important that you understand the poem properly, underline the important lines and clear any doubt that you would have. Answer the questions in the exercise section of the book as well.
- Write and learn whatever you read- Write down whatever you are learning or reading to memorise them better and make key points. Writing everything down will help you formulate your answers better, practice grammar and spelling, maintain a speed of writing and help you revise quicker since everything will be concise and to the point. You will not need to go through the chapters or poems all over again. Writing everything down also helps you retain it better.
- Prepare a proper timetable- Preparing a timetable will help you cover all the chapters and the syllabus in a proper manner and you are also less likely to skip anything. Allocate time to each chapter and work extra on your weak area. Remember to give yourself some time off in the timetable as well. Exams can be stressful so it is important that you do not exhaust yourself and take regular breaks. Get back to studying once you feel refreshed.
- Practice sample papers- To complete your preparation, it is important that you practice sample papers or papers from previous years. Practicing papers helps you understand the pattern of the paper and understand the type of questions you can expect. Time yourself when you are attempting the paper so that you know how to maintain your speed of writing. It will also help you practice your writing skills, grammar and spelling.
- Practice creative writing questions- Attempt enough practice questions for letters and essays. Make sure to practice the formats. While writing essays remember to give an introduction, main body and a proper conclusion. And while writing letters practice the format, how to address a person in a formal and an informal letter and what the content of the letter will be like.
- While attempting the paper- Keep in mind to attempt the questions in a proper format and order. Go through the unseen passages properly and calmly and then attempt the questions. Do not leave any questions unattempted. Leave enough time to attempt the creative writing sections since it takes longer to finish. Make sure to have enough time to read through your answers before you submit them. Revising your answers will help you eliminate any grammar or spelling mistakes. Do not waste time on any question that you need time to answer. Move to the next question and finish answering all the questions that you are confident in. You can come back to the question you got stuck in.
- An extra tip to keep in mind is to keep your paper neat and tidy and underline keywords or points in answers. This will help the examiner mark your paper quicker and also easier. This may help you score some extra marks.