Either you play table poker in casino or online like in the Idn poker website, there are nicknames of poker hands come from sport, pop culture, history, daily life and more. Some are fun, some are creative, and some are just vulgar, but they all have a story behind them. Check out the most popular poker hand nicknames below:
Ace-Ace (A-A) A♦, A♠
- Alan Alda: The double “A’s” are also the initials of the M*A*S*H star.
- American Airlines: Nicknamed due to the double Aces “AA” that is also the familiar symbol for American Airlines.
- Batteries: The nickname comes from double-A batteries.
- Bullets: This hand garners the nickname “bullets” because the single suit symbol in the center of each card side by side resembles bullet holes.
- Eyes of Texas: Taken from the popular song, also due to the resemblance to “eyes” on dice, and the origin of the game “Texas.”
- Flying Nazis: Because the As look like airplanes and successful pilots are known as Aces. Nazis had a successful squadron of flying “Aces”.
- Joe Louis: (Given only to the pair of spades and clubs) because the Aces resemble eyes, you will get two black eyes if you try to fight them, like the famous boxer.
- Needles: The A looks like the top of the needle, in that it’s pointy.
- Pocket Rockets: Aces look like rockets, and since they are “pocket cards”, they’re pocket rockets.
- Snake Eyes (or Eyes): The pair of Aces is associated with the snake eyes (rolling a double 1) in dice.
- Teepees: The double Aces resemble the peaks of Native American Indian teepees.
- Two Pips: A pip is a single unit of a number in a group, so two Aces, each worth one “pip” or point is “two pips”.
- Visine: This is a special designation for the combination of the Ace of Hearts and the Ace of Diamonds (both red suits) also known as “red eyes” because Visine eye drops claim to “get the red out.”
Ace-King (A-K) A♦, K♠
- Anna Kournikova: The Ace/King combo gets this nickname for sharing the initials of the popular tennis star and because it looks great, but rarely wins.
- Big Slick: Because this looks like an easy winner, many novice players lose a lot of money betting on it.
- Big Ugly: Given to only black-suited hands because it’s a lot of black – resembling oil.
- Exxon Valdez: This hand garsembles bullet holes.
- King Arthur: Sharing the initials of King Arthur, the legendary King of Camelot.
- Korean Airlines: Sharing the initials of the commercial airline of South Korea.
- Mike Haven: A nod to Haven playing all-in on this pair twice in a row to come back from behind and win at the final table.
- Walking Back to Houston: Because “Texas” players who originated this variety of poker and bet too heavily on it ended up “walking back to Houston” as a loser.
Ace-Queen (A-Q) A♣, Q♥
- Antony & Cleopatra: Because the pair shares the initials of the famous Shakespearian lovers, Marc Anthony and Queen Cleopatra.
- Big Chick: The Queen is the King’s “chick”, and the Ace/Queen pair is a lesser imitation of the Big Slick.
- Big Slut: Because the Queen is a ‘slut’ trying to imitate the King in the Big Slick pairing.
- Little Slick: Like the Big Slick, but smaller.
- Mrs Slick: The King’s wife, imitating the Big Slick.
- Rocket Queen: The Ace resembles a rocket and is paired with the Queen, also referring to the Guns & Roses song.
Ace-Jack (A-J) A♥, J♥
- Armani Jeans: Sharing the acronym with the famous clothing line jeans.
- Apple Jacks: Sharing the initials of the popular cereal brand.
- Ajax: A phonetic similarity (A-Jacks) to the cleaning product.
- Foamy Cleanser: A non-branded version of Ajax.
- Blackjack: Because A-J is the highest possible hand in Blackjack.
- Jackass: Jack/Ace sounds like Jackass.
Ace-Ten (A-10) A♣, 10♦
- Johnny Moss: Because he began his poker career at the age of 10.
- Bookends: Each part of the end of the highest poker straight (10, J, Q, K, A).
Ace-Nine (A-9) A♦, 9♥
- Rounders Hand: Made popular as the final hand in the movie Rounders.
- McDerment: A colloquialism of the last name of the character Mike McDermott in the movie Rounders.
- Jesus (also known as Chris Ferguson): Chris Ferguson won the final hand of the 2000 WSOP with the A/9 pair over TJ Cloutier’s Ace/Queen.
- Gimp: Because it’s weak compared to any Ace/face card pair.
Ace-Eight (A-8) A♠, 8♠
- Dead Man’s Hand: The pairing held by famous gunfighter and lawman “Wild Bill Hickok” when he was murdered. Also called this because the holder is likely “dead” in the game.
- Asterix and Obelix: Named after the comic book characters because A is the initial for Asterix and the rotund Obelix resembles an 8.
Ace-Seven (A-7) A♣, 7♠
- Slapshot: Nicknamed for the 7’s resemblance to a hockey stick and the Ace being a bullet (hockey puck).
- The Sonnert: Because professional poker player Bengt Sonnert won the European WSOP in 2008 with this hand.
Ace-Six (A-6) A♦, 6♣
- Mile-High Club: Because six is phonetically similar to sex and the Ace is associated with airlines, the nickname is a reference to sex in an aircraft being known as joining the Mile-High Club.
- Tennessee Ernie Ford: Singer of the popular country/folk song ‘Sixteen Tons.’
Ace-Five (A-5) A♥, 5♦
- High Five: The “high” card (Ace) combined with the five. Simple, yet effective.
Ace-Four (A-4) A♣, 4♠
- Plane Crash: Because the A-4 combination resembles the double Ace combination with one of the “wings” missing (the 4 being a ‘partial’ Ace).
- Stu Ungar: Famous player Stu Ungar won his last three WSOP titles with this hand as part of a poker straight.
Ace-Three (A-3) A♠, 3♠
- Ashtray: Due to the phonetic similarity of Ace-Trey. Think, smoky poker rooms and casinos.
- Baskin-Robbins: The Ace/Three (numerically 1 and 3) are given the nickname due to Baskin Robin’s famous 31 flavors of ice cream.
- Thrace: The word Thrice (for three times) combined with Ace.
Ace-Two (A-2) A♦, 2♥
- Acey-Deucey: From the game of the same name.
- Hunting Season: Nicknamed because Aces are bullets and twos are commonly referred to as ducks.
- Little Slick: The lowest possible imitation of “Big Slick.” Used for A-Q too, for added confusion.
Thus some nicknames from your initial card pair in this poker game. You can remember it and can understand it more in poker games like while playing at Idn poker terbaik .