Employee rights are important to learn because they ensure that there is no discrimination and unfair behaviour among the employees. There are numerous provisions for employees that they must know to have a better workplace environment.
During work, all employees are entitled to certain rights and liberties, and these rights are enshrined in laws through rules and regulations. In this article, we will study some important employee rights that you must know through this employment rights guide. So, let’s begin our discussion about workplace rights.
What are Employment Rights?
Employment rights are measures to safeguard the employees at the workplace. There is a general employment right which is applicable for all, but it may vary as per the operations of the company. However, all the employees are entitled to certain benefits of these rights. So, let’s begin with our discussion about employment rights.
What are Some of the Important Employment Rights?
- The first important employment right is not to be harassed or discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, caste, sex, national origin, disability, age or any other factor. So, the first employment right is to have a discrimination-free working environment.
- Equal pay for equal work is another important employment right which you must possess, and no company shall deny such rights to you. If the company discriminates on the basis of pay and work, the employee can file a lawsuit against the company, and therefore, it is better to follow this rule instead of facing a lawsuit.
- Employees should also get accommodation after work as per their needs. It is also the responsibility of the company to ensure the employees have basic facilities for their accommodation.
- The right to privacy is also an important right of the employees. For instance, during the hiring process, if the employee has shared their genetic or medical information, this information should be kept private and confidential.
- If, in any case, the employee is facing discrimination in the company, they must have a mechanism through which they can file a complaint and get justice. So, having this complaint mechanism is also one of the important employment rights that the company should provide.
These are some of the general employment rights, but there are also some of the specific rights based on the types of industries. So, you must be aware of such rights before entering this employment field. If any company fails to provide such important rights, you can always seek legal help to gain your rights.