How to teach primary classes effectively: tips for teachers
The first step after kindergarten, from where the proper formal and main education journey of the students begin. From learning the basic qualities to achieving high success in life, primary education acts as the first and most important step for the learners. Physical growth, mental growth, and development of social and interpersonal skills start when students step into their elementary or primary studies. Elementary education is the foremost and fundamental right for children. Some of the benefits of primary education are
- Beginning of physical and mental growth of a child.
- Fostering interactions and social skills.
- developing discipline, moral values, and behavioral qualities in young minds.
- Teaching students the importance of academics and co-curriculum.
No child should be deprived of completing his or her primary education no matter what the circumstances are. Teachers play a very important role in the elementary learning of the students. From holding their little fingers and taking them to the greater heights of success in the field of education, teachers play an essential role. Let us discuss some very effective tips which teachers can follow to make their primary teaching better and beneficial for the students.
Effective primary teaching: 3 best steps to follow
Step 1 – Take breaks in between
Primary learning students are quite young and having continuous lectures, and back-to-back academic classes can become a burden or pressure on them. Taking timely breaks from teaching and learning must be practiced by the teachers for primary students. Young children easily get distracted from their classes. They are not very patient when it comes to attentively listening to the teachers. But regular breaks can help in resolving this problem. Let us discuss what all teachers can do:
- Give water breaks in between. When teachers teach continuously, students lose their attention but if teachers will give time to time breaks, students will not be diverted from the classes.
- After explaining a particular topic, giving a break for self and quiet reading can also be practiced. This way students will be relaxed as well as can read the taught topic.
- Asking students to put their heads down and simply relax in between hectic classes such as maths and English can be helpful for effective learning. A five or ten minutes break can boost and rebuild their energy levels. This can be done in an online live class as well as traditional classrooms.
Step 2 – Follow proper routines in classrooms
Following routines and working as per schedules and timetables, help us to develop time management skills, regularity, punctuality, effective completion of tasks, and much more. Teaching students to live a systematic life from primary classes is important and must be practiced by all the teachers. Students spend a good chunk of time in the classroom. Learning proper routines in the classes will help students to do that in self-learning and work as well. Make the weekly routines and timetable, furthermore, instruct and explain it to the learners as well. The main things to include in the routines are
- Starting the day with prayers and greetings. This will help to develop positivity and good vibes in the classroom.
- Writing the homework in school diaries after all the classes. Many times when students don’t write, they forget what work was assigned to them, therefore this is important.
- Starting and completing the decided topics effectively.
- Checking notebooks and textbook exercises of the students. This will ensure that students are involved in learning properly.
Step 3 – Reward them
The students of primary learning are young to understand the seriousness of the studies and education. But rewards, praises, and appreciation are the best way to encourage and motivate them for effective learning. When they are appreciated for their ways of learning and class participation, their confidence level, self-esteem, and motivation for betterment are increased.
For example, if you want your students to write down in copies quickly or complete a given activity fully, a reward system can be organized. Telling them that those who will finish the given work will be rewarded. Whether teaching via an online live class or traditional classroom, rewarding techniques are helpful. Some rewarding tools can be
- Give students smiley stickers or stars on their hands when they perform actively.
- Active performers of the week and writing their names on the board can also be done.
- Giving batches, certificates can be done.
- Continuously praising them, and encouraging them with positive and motivational quotes is helpful.
Primary or elementary education is the most important learning time for all learners. It includes the classes first to fifth in which students are trained and prepared for senior education and many other learning activities. Effective primary education is the first step that takes learners to the heights of success in higher education. Primary teaching plays an important role in this process. By following the three main above-mentioned tips, teachers can enhance their primary teaching quality.