FSSAI regulations for food packaging business in India
FSSAI regulates the packaging of all the food items in India, FSSAI registration in Delhi or any other state. The rules pertaining to food-packaging business are laid out in the food safety and standards regulations, 2011. Every food that is placed in a package of any nature, in a manner that the content could not be changed without tampering it and it is ready to sale to the customers that comply with the food packaging regulations in India.
Requirements for the containers
Every packaged food needs to be put in a utensil or container, which is safe. Any container or package is unfit for packaging if Bitsandboxes:
- The container should be securely sealed or packed.
- The container is rusty.
- Cans should be free from any leaks.
- The exteriors of the cans could be free from any major rust, dents, seam distortions and perforations.
- Brass or copper containers that are not with proper tins
- An enameled containers that have become rusty and chipped
- Containers that are made of plastic material must conform to the following Indian standards specifications, used as appliances or receptacles for packaging or storing whether wholly or partly, food article namely;
- IS 10142- specification for styrene polymers in contact with foodstuffs
- IS 10146- specification for polyethylene in contact with foodstuffs
- IS 10151- specification for polyvinyl chloride (PVC), in contact with foodstuffs
- IS 10910- specification for polypropylene in contact with foodstuffs
- IS 11434- specification for lonomer resins in contact with foodstuffs
- IS 11704- Specify for ethylene acrylic acid copolymer
- IS 12252- specification for poly alkylene terephthalates
- IS 13601- ethylene-vinyl acetate
- IS 12247- specification for nylon 6 polymer
- IS 1357- ethylene metha acrylic acid
- Plastic and tin containers once used, could not be re-used for packaging of edible fats and oils;
- Aluminum containers are not conforming in chemical composition to IS:20 specification for aluminum alloy and cast aluminum for utensils or IS:21 specification for aluminum alloy and wrought aluminum for utensils.
Requirements of packaging for milk products and milk
Some of the following FSSAI import-export license requirements are applicable for milk products and milk only:
- Filling or bottling of containers with heat-treated milk products and milk could be carried out mechanically, and the sealing of the containers could be carried out automatically.
- Carry out the sealing process in the establishment in which the last heat-treatment of liquid milk-based and drinking milk products has been carried out immediately after filling by means of a sealing device that ensure the protection of milk from the adverse effects of the external origin on its characteristics.
- Immediate after packaging, place the dairy items in the rooms especially developed for storage.
Packaging of drinking water
Drinking water which is packaged must be packed in hygienic, clean, transparent, colorless and tamperproof containers made of polyethylene, or polyvinyl chloride, poly alkylene terephthalate or polypropylene conforming or food-grade polycarbonate or sterile glass bottle suitable for preventing possible contamination or adulteration of the water lifeline hospital.